Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Oriole Nest


The Oriole Nest


I have a new home.

It is like an oriole nest, I tell my sister.

Three walls are bright orange.

One wall in dark chocolate brown.

And sometimes it makes me wonder

If there is any chocolate to be had

For eating. Instead of staring.


My oriole nest is above two love-birds

Their names are Becki and Timothy O’Brien.

That is my sister.

She creates magic in her mind and fingers.

I love thunderstorms.

She loves rainbows.

But she loves Timmy most.


My oriole nest is snug and sweet.

The sweetest bits are two photos.

One on my desk.

One on my shelf.

I miss my perfect prince.

(I have an amazingly perfect prince.)

His name is Caleb.


My oriole nest has two large windows.

My bed lies right beneath them.

I watch the sunrise make the world yawn.

I watch the sunset wick the color away.

From everything.

Except my oriole nest.

That stays orange. Orange and chocolate!


I have a new home.

It is like an oriole nest, I tell my Lord.

Three walls are bright orange.

And one chocolate brown.

Together, my Lord and I watch each sunrise

And each sunset.

Together, we miss my prince

And write him letters.

He tells me that He loves my oriole nest.

And I admire his sun.

1 comment:

  1. Such pretty words you write, my little princess. I love my baby bird snuggled in her oriole nest. xxoo

    Tim says "It's fun having another little sister here."

    ReplyDelete