Sunday, April 18, 2010

Catch A Falling Star...

This morning I am teaching a devotional on creation. This is one of my FAVORITE stories. I like to imagine it all out, with a soundtrack of My Soul Sings by Delirious, or God of Creation by David Crowder Band. All dramatic events have a soundtrack.
So, while I was planning my devotional, I thought about how precisely God made His creation...and all to bless us, His children. Food, water, air, materials for everything we make. He then challenged me, "How is my creation personal to you?"
And I thought of this story.
When I was seventeen, I spent a long time in a bus on my way to Juarez Mexico for a missions trip. Many hours crawled by, as monotonous as the Western landscape, until 3 a.m. I decided that I would crouch closely to the window to talk to God. No one was awake, the bus was roaring loudly enough to cover my murmuring, and the stars were too brilliant to be ignored.
We talked about this and that, and I admired His stars. Then I whispered to Him
"I would love to see a falling star...it would be so precious....could you...could you send a falling star to me?"
The words had barely left my lips when a star streaked across the darkness in a blaze of light.
It was one of those moments. The moments where God overwhelms you so utterly that all you are capable of is smiling and laughing and tears.
"You sent me a star!"
"It was waiting for you." My mind reeled. "It has been hanging there a long time. That star was made for you."
Our personal God created a world of such delicate intricacy and ferocious majesty. The complexity of creation is our gift, not just our home. More than that, creation is a gift to us personally, not just humankind as a whole.
The daffodil that you see in your garden and causes your heart to praise God is just as much your PERSONAL gift of creation from God as the stars light years away, or the rain forests from which we may get oxygen and medicines. The star that hung for years waiting for me was a piece of God's gift to mankind, and a personal gift to me.
Today, I am blown away by creation. Each tree, flower, cloud, sunrise I admire and praise God for is my personal gift. It can be your personal gift as well, because when you seize the opportunity to take that gift, it becomes your own.
Today, admire God's creation. Perhaps He'll send you your own falling star.

No comments:

Post a Comment