Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Oriole's Goodmorning

Today, I met a bird.

In my oriole nest.

It thought it would sing by my head

To wake me up

And that I would invite him in.

For breakfast I suppose…

But I don’t eat worms.

I am sure it must have seen

My walls shine through the curtains

Brilliant orange...

(And chocolate)

It must have seen me sleeping

Lying in a drift of downy pillows

Dreaming that I could fly.

Like an oriole.


It must have noticed that I hit my alarm

Nearly five times.

It must have thought that the alarm

Was not a pretty morning sound

A sound to wake to dawn too.

A sound to yawn too.

So it sang for me.

A chirp, a trill, a “Goodmorning, oriole.”

“May I come in and sing with you?”

My eyes opened to the sky

Grey and dim with rainy light

Radiant blue with a soprano’s notes…

Blazing with song in the darkness

Today I met a bird.

It knew I was an oriole.

And it sang goodmorning for me.

And that is so much more inspiring

Than an alarm.

3 comments:

  1. This is fun, beautiful, and brilliant all at the same time! I love it Rynn! I I like your word creations very much. :)

    And yay for alluding to soprano notes :D heeheehee <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your are truly a poet!!! and an amazing young lady!! dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beautiful little birdy. I love to have you snuggled all fuzzy headed and cozy upstairs. You bring such a happy presence to my household, and I love my sweet Princess! xxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete